Sailing Route Optimizer GIS Project - Want to take part?

Topics: General Topics
Aug 21, 2006 at 8:46 AM
Hi all,

I'm new to GIS and only this weekend i have tried installing SharpMap and willing to climb the learning curve.

I am looking at sharpmap because i have an exciting project to work on.

I'm developing a Sailing Route optimization software which i want to make available as a web service. The project is challenging but very intellectually rewarding. I have worked hard in the past few months on the 'brain' of the software and have develped stored procedures in t-sql to do the job. Given a start point and an end point I calculate the optimal sailing route by building isochrones taking into account the wind forecast at the time of departure, the tidal streams and the polar characteristics of the boat.

Initially this was going to be build as a standalone application but then i decided to make it into website service. The challenge is great. I want use sharpmap as the engine to build the presentation part of the project.

I am doing this in my spare time and am posting this to see if any develpers out there would be interested in taking part in this project. Sharing the hard work and hopefully the final rewards.

Please drop me a line if you are interested and i have plenty more details to give you.

Aug 22, 2006 at 12:52 AM
where are you from?
Aug 22, 2006 at 12:47 PM
I'm italian but have lived in the uk more or less since '97. I live in London.
Sep 21, 2006 at 4:04 PM

I have a fair bit of knowledge in this area, having navigated in 4 round the world races and am a Professional yacht racing navigator. I am also a (rather badly trained) developer with lots of projects written in Delphi, C, VB and now C#.

I have just finished writing a websevice that supplies custom GRIB data from a very simple request. I am sure we could help each other

Drop me a line if your interested at

Steve Hayles
Jan 13, 2009 at 2:26 PM

Are you guys still working on that ?